Thursday, December 3, 2009

I want candy!

I love art more than anything, so I decided to take some of my favorite paintings, and one photograph, and modernize them to get great fashionable looks. I arranged all the items needed to complete the look together, I think it gives a better idea visually of what I'm trying to show. Enjoy!

  • Blue Room - Suzanne Valadon


So I have taken this very laid back, casual yet feminine look and put something together. There are some high waisted, pinstripe pants and a casual red tank top, with lace. Next there is a champagne colored silk scarf and some flower pins in earthy tones, and I always imagine a woman who is lounging around reading and having a cigarette wearing Chanel No. 5. The make up is kept subtle here. I know The Second Sex was actually written after the time, but this painting shows a progressive woman so I thought it would be appropriate.



  • Circus Artistes - August Sander



I absolutely love paintings or photographs of old time circus performers! They're pretty tough looking, yet the women are still wearing, what appear to be, pearls. So I've included a military style jacket (which are popular right now actually), some high waisted black short and some cute red, suede flats. Again, the women are in pearls, so I put a simple single strand pearl necklace (it looks a bit cleaner) and since I imagine them smoking I added some Marlboros - what else would you smoke? ;) Lastly, I found a look that emphasized the eyes with dark eye make up and a 1930s hairstyle that is just adorable (I always picture Mae West when I see it).


  • Adele Bloch-Bauer I - Gustave Klimt

I love Klimt's paintings, they look so opulent and beautiful. I pictured an evening look, very fancy and regal. I included a gold evening gown a la Marilyn Monroe, multiple jeweled brooches because with this look you can afford to be over the top, and a gorgeous necklace that isn't too long and matches the colors of the stones in the brooches. The hairstyle is an updo, but sort of discheveled, with loose stands coming down. The make up is dark, deep purple lips and some black eye shadow around the eyes, a fur stole-which looks incredibly warm- and finally a cupcake purse (think Charlotte's daughter in Sex and the City) because it's so cute, and it just reminded me of a decadent dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment