Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blast from the Past- Retro Chic!

I know every season the fashion gurus tell us that the fashion for fall or winter or whenever will be inspired by a decade gone by. I've compiled some of my favorite pieces, things that are getting big or things I wish would make a come back. As well, I've included a couple modern spins on an old favorite.

  • Gloves!
If you read my post on Film Fashionistas and saw Holly Golightly on the list, you'll understand why I love gloves. These just scream classy to me, I have a pair of black ones, that only go to the wrist, but I would love a high pair for special occasions.


  • My favorite modern take on gloves
These are a pair from Pat Field's boutique (the woman who did the clothing for Sex and the City, she's basically a Goddess). I believe Lady Gaga wears them in a music video, and they are too fun. The idea of my favorite fashion accessory suddenly getting a rocker edge to it makes me weak in the knees.

  • Fur Coat
This is my ultimate fashion must have! Before animal rights activists get all up in arms, calm down I'd only wear faux. This is a trend that is coming back right now, I have a faux fur vest from H&M that I adore. I just love the stories of my grandfather getting my grandmother a fur coat every annisersary. If that was me I would fall in love all over again.

  • Stocking Seams
-This picture is only O.K. because it's Bettie Page. Once I started wearing stockings with seams, I could hardly go back to regular stockings. These are just so wonderful. I fully plan on having these seams tattooed on the backs of my legs as an hommage to the women of World War II who painted stocking seams on the backs of their legs because they couldn't get nylons.

  • 3-D Glasses
So these have come back in a big way, but now the glasses are black and look more like sunglasses. While these new ones definitely look more modern, and sort of like Ray-Bans, the classic 3-D glasses still have my heart. I included this picture because it shows the original glasses and a dress fashioned in their likeness.

  • Glasses
Continuing on the theme of sexy eye wear, here are '50s horn rimmed glasses. I have a pair of sunglasses in the same shape, as glasses really do not suit me, but I adore these. They have a certain sexy secretary vibe, don't they?

And for the men, I have a soft spot for these glasses, mainly because in an old picture of my grandfather he has the same pair and because my dad just bought sunglasses like these (rock on, dad!).
  • Fancy Hat
I had been coveting a hat like this for years and finally Le Chateau started selling them. I bought a black one for my cousin's wedding and loved it. They are guaranteed to take an ordinary party dress to a great dress!

  • Pearls
Coco Chanel is one of my favorite designers and she is the women I think of when thinking of pearls. These have never really gone out of style, but I don't see many younger women wearing them. These are classic and elegant, one of the few must haves I believe every lady should have.

  • Cat's Eyes
I had actually forgotten this one the first time I posted, so I'm editing to include it, because it cannot be left out! Who better to include than Sophia Loren also, the woman known for her cat's yes make up. I would have also included red lipstick, but for anyone who knows me, that was a given.

Keep checking, I'll have a post on my favorite furniture accessory (the phone!) and make up!

No comments:

Post a Comment